Opioids can be a scary word for some. We’ve seen the word make headlines more times over the past few years than we would like to. Although there are risks involved with taking opioids (like with most medications), there are some benefits to adding opioids to your care plan- just make sure to consult our pain doctors in Sherman, TX (clinics also located in Rowlett, Greenville & Forney, TX) before making any decisions. If you’re taking the time to read this, then you know how chronic pain can drastically impact your quality of life and you’re always on the lookout for ways to help alleviate any pain possible. For many people, opioids can play a crucial role in managing pain. So, let’s break down both the good and the bad when it comes to opioids as well as tips for safe use!
Common Side Effects
We don’t want to sound like a new medicine commercial listing all of the possible side effects, but we think that understanding the potential side effects of opioids is necessary for safe use. By making appropriate dietary and lifestyle adjustments, you can maximize the benefits of opioids while minimizing their unwanted effects.
- Drowsiness and Impairment- Opioids may make you feel drowsy and impact your decision-making. Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery when you are taking opioids.
- Avoid Alcohol- Mixing opioids with alcohol intensifies risks. Stay away from alcohol during opioid therapy to limit unwanted reactions.
- Nausea and Vomiting- Nausea and vomiting can be common side effects of opioid use. We recommend taking opioids with food to avoid this.
- Constipation- Manage with fluids, fiber, and exercise for bowel regularity.
- Itchy Skin- Itchy skin is a common sensation associated with opioid use. While it may be uncomfortable, it’s generally not harmful.
Now that you know your potential risks, you’ll want to know how Opioids can be beneficial in certain medical situations. Potential benefits of opioids include:
- Effective Pain Management– Relieves severe pain from surgery, cancer, or injuries.
- Improved Quality of Life– Enhances daily functioning for your chronic pain conditions.
- Enhanced Functionality– Enables easier daily activities and mobility by alleviating pain.
- Post-Surgical Recovery– Short-term use aids acute pain management during recovery.
- Emergency Pain Relief– Provides rapid and effective pain relief in severe medical situations.
To learn more about our team and our pain solutions involving opioids, click here.
Safety Tips When Using Opioids
At Dallas Pain Institute, our primary focus is YOU. If the custom treatment plan that we create for you includes opioids, please refer to these safety tips:
- Make sure to only take opioids that were prescribed to you by a healthcare professional.
- Do not share any of your medications. They are for you only.
- When taking medications prescribed by a doctor, always stick to the prescribed dosage. If you want to have anything changed, speak with your doctor.
- Mixing medications is never a good idea. Let your doctor know about all of the medications you are currently taking.
Opioids can be very beneficial for chronic pain, but responsible use is crucial. By understanding the potential side effects and following safety guidelines, you can maximize the benefits of opioids while minimizing the risks. Call us today to ensure your pain management plan aligns with your health goals and priorities. We have locations in Sherman, Rowlett, Greenville & Forney, TX—we look forward to caring for you!